It doesn't sound like any A7 I know of..Are you sure it was a A7 ?
I was watching an auction about five years ago that was a custom order A7 either ordered through a pro audio shop or final assembly by them. They were built during the '70s for the original owner and were in perfect cosmetic condition. What set these apart were the two 416 per cabinet and two compression drivers feeding a multicell. To this day I regret not saving a picture of these A7 on steroids. Anyone have a picture of these or have more info?
Thats an A4.
No, it was based on the A7, same size and footprint. Which is why I wished I saved a picture.
are you SURE?same size and footprint.
Your description belies a LF system capable of good extension.
Closest Altec designs to your description are the 815, 817, and 820. 820 has the closest relative size footprint, but is a triangular, corner cabinet. 815 and 817 have much larger footprints.
Not all vegetables make good leaders.

I think a rookie mistake is being made here. Many think the low frequency enclosure is what makes an A7. Nope.
First thing- if it has a multicell it ABSOLUTELY IS NOT an A7. A7's in different models have the sectoral horns.
An A5 uses the same LF enclosure, but with a multicell.
![]()
And you can't fit two 416's in an A7. I suppose you could seal the bottom and put a second woofer there, but it won't be an A7 and may not sound all that good.
I suspect it was an 815 or 817 with the multicell on top.
![]()
Bear in mind the auction might have said A7, but it just plain was not one. Auctions are wrong on a constant basis. I sold this stuff for close to 30 years.
Your neighbors called. They like your music.
From the OP's description the first image that popped in my mind based on footprint and tandem 15's is an old EAW mid-bass cabinet that we've discussed here in the past.Bear in mind the auction might have said A7, but it just plain was not one. Auctions are wrong on a constant basis. I sold this stuff for close to 30 years.
Not all vegetables make good leaders.
Bookmarks